This is a dairy free, sugar free and wheat free delight that is an abundance nutrients and powerful antioxidants.
While most cakes and sweet slices are high in sugar, gluten, dairy and artificial additives, this oat slice is full of nothing but goodness.
The main ingredient used here are oats. Here are some incredible medicinal benefits of oats:
- Lower cholesterol levels: Oats contain a very specific type of fibre called beta-glucan. Study after study has proven the benefits in which this type of fibre has on lowering cholesterol levels. Maintaining healthy cholesterol levels will greatly reduce your risk of experiencing all cardiovascular conditions.
- Stabilise blood sugar levels: The fibre content in oats will help to stabilize blood sugar levels and absorb sugars from your digestive system, therefore, preventing risk of type 2 diabetes and other metabolic syndromes.
- Weight loss: If you have a very strong appetite that´s preventing you from losing weight, then eating oats could just help you! The beta-glucan content in oats has been shown to increase satiety and suppress appetite by stimulating the release of the hormones that are responsible for controlling appetite.
- Reduce risk of cancer: If lowering cholesterol levels, stabilizing blood sugar levels, preventing diabetes and reducing appetite aren´t enough benefits just one type of food can have, then what about this. Oats have ALSO been shown to reduce the risk of cancer! They contain a type of lignin called phytoestrogens which are very favourable in preventing hormone related cancers such as breast cancer and prostate cancer.
Not only does this recipe contain oats, it relies on bananas for their sweetness. Bananas are not just delicious and sweet but they also come with so many health benefits! They are:
- high in tryptophan, helping to combat depression
- rich in potassium which will help prevent cardiovascular disease
- high in pectin which will help to chelate toxins and heavy metals from the digestive system
- a probiotic, stimulating the growth of friendly bacteria in the bowel
- high in fibre which will help to regulate the bowel
So if you think bananas are just a monkey´s food, think again!
- 4 large, very ripe bananas, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 cups whole oats that have been soaked in water for at least 15 minutes
- 1 cup rice flour or almond flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 dash of stevia (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius and line a large cake tin or large rectangle casserole dish with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, first mix together the chopped bananas, blueberries, oats and flour. Then add the eggs, vanilla and cinnamon and mix until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the dish and place in the oven. Cook for 20-30 minutes. This will depend on your oven temperature and thickness of the slice so continue to monitor it.
This slice is the perfect snack when the mid-afternoon slumps hit or the sugar cravings strike. Enjoy!